Preserving Financial History when Decommissioning Accounts
If you need to decommission an account, you can preserve its historical financial data for your records in Kion. To do this, archive the existing project to maintain the historical data, and create a new project under an OU for suspended projects to track any residual spend. The easiest way to do this is by moving the project, as detailed below.
To preserve financial history when decommissioning an account:
- Create an OU under your top-level OU and name it Suspended. For information about creating OUs, see Create an OU.
- (Optional) Create a "break glass" cloud access role with admin access and apply it to the Suspended OU. This cloud access role will only be used in the case you need to access the moved account prior to it being deleted. For information about creating cloud access roles, see Add a Cloud Access Role.
- Exempt the Suspended OU from all cloud rules and cloud access roles. For information about exemptions, see Requesting Cloud Access Role Exemptions and Requesting Cloud Rule Exemptions.
- Create a funding source and name it Suspended. For information about creating funding sources, see Add a Funding Source.
- Allocate funds to the Suspended OU. For information about allocating funds, see Allocations Mode.
- In your cloud service provider console, remove resources from the account and prepare it to be decommissioned. Do not close the account yet.
- In Kion, navigate to Projects > All Projects.
- Next to the project for the account you are decommissioning, click the ellipsis menu and select Move Project.
- For the destination OU, select Suspended.
- Select Remove all inherited cloud rules.
- Select Preserve financial history on the current OU.
- For the project spend plan, select Suspended as the funding source, enter a funding period, and enter a planned amount.
- Review the plan summary and click Next.
- Review the move project summary and click Move Project.
- In your cloud service provider console, submit a request to close the account. For more information, see the documentation for your specific cloud provider.
- Once the removal wait period is complete, delete the account from the Kion project and select No, just delete the account.
- Archive the project under the Suspended OU.